What's one thing you've grown to understand, appreciate, or value about poetry that you haven't in the past?
Throughout this poetry unit I have grown to appreciate the emotion and sensitivity that poetry can bring to its audience. Now I understand poetry because I can view it as music without a melody. Before this poetry unit or assignment I thought all poetry was boring and only written for highly educated adults. Because of this poetry presentation assignment I have grown to appreciate the beauty in poetry. Poetry can cause you to have a completely new outlook on your day after reading and analyzing your poem. The assignment forced me to research background information on the poet which made me appreciate the poet and poem even more.
I like the connection you made between poetry and music. To me, many poems remind me of song lyrics, or tell the same kinds of stories that you would hear in a song. I've also come to find that after learning about the poet, it's much easier to analyze their work along with appreciate it.
ReplyDeleteI agree that once you research a little bit about the poet the poem becomes more interesting and easier to understand. Your presentation is a perfect example. If we didn't know that Yusef Komunyakaa served in the U.S. military we wouldn't understand his perspective and we wouldn't understand how touchy the subject is to him. If we understand the poet we can understand the poem. I liked the comparison of poetry to music it really made sense to me.
ReplyDelete